Friday, October 30, 2009

Gooey Pumpkin Buttercake

The Sunday after Henry was born President and Sister Matthews brought over these luscious little pumpkin bites. They were beautiful and just as delicious. I wish I had taken a picture. I'm pretty sure that if I recreate them the way she did, they will pale in comaparison. But, I did call and get the recipe because I was pretty sure that I would one day crave them again. {and my mom really wanted the recipe too} Sure enough, I just happened to have a can of pumpkin on hand and...would you believe it...a yellow cake mix. So, I whipped up the recipe in the quick 9x13 pan format. {baby boy creates tight time demands} I didn't even have the whipped cream to put on top, and we had it gone in no time. It's rare to find a treat that everyone will eat. Everyone ate this. I'm thinking Thanksgiving for sure. I don't know if I will eat pumpkin pie again.
Gooey Pumpkin Buttercake

Cake
1 pkg yellow cake mix
8 Tbs butter melted
1 egg
Filling
8 oz cream cheese, softened
15 oz can pumpkin
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
8 Tbs butter, melted
3 1/4 C powdered sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Cake: Mix together cake mix, butter, and egg and pat into bottom of greased 9x13 pan.
Filling: Beat cream cheese until it is soft. Add pumpkin and mix until well blended. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and butter. Add sugar and cinnamon and mix until smooth.
Pour filling over crust.
Bake at 350 for 40-50 min. Be careful not to overbake. {my crust got a little dry}
Fun options:
Make this in mini muffin tins {that's what Cindy did}
Line mini-muffin tin with paper liners. Spray liners lightly with Baker's Joy. Press a small scoop of cake mix into paper liner. Fill with filling just below top. Filling will expand some with baking. Bake at 350 for 16-18 min.
If you want to make this with standard sized muffin cups, follow the same procedure, but allow 26-28 min for baking.
Top each cake/piece with a dallop of whipped cream and freshly grated nutmeg.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy... a food blog sounds so fun! Good for you. I started my own for myself so I can just print and add to a binder. Fun recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they are delicious indeed! I just found the recipe the other day that my mom had given me and thought how yummy they sounded. I wish my mom was here to recreate everything for me...it never tasts quite as good when I do it. Maybe one day I can be like her!

    ReplyDelete